Djokovic’s Australian saga continues: New evidence against him examined

Share:
Novak Đoković
Source: Tennis Australia/Scott Barbour/Handout via REUTERS

The Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was still considering on Tuesday whether to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa after he won a court battle to stay in the country and start practising to try to win his 10th Australian Open title.

The Minister has an exclusive right to do so regardless of the court ruling.

Djokovic was isolated at a migrant hotel for five days before facing the court which reinstated his visa.

The saga went into the sixth day following the federal government saying that Djokovic had lied on his travel entry form when he said he had not travelled in the previous 14 days.

Hawke is most interested in the entry form in which Djokovic has stated he hasn’t travelled in 14 days before his January 6 arrival in Australia. Djokovic had been spotted in his hometown Belgrade on December 25 and then appeared in Marbella in Spain on January 2.

The Australian ‘The Age website published the document submitted on Novak Djokovic’s behalf for entry into Australia. Source: Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia.

An excerpt of the featured document.

Full document

All travellers who intend to enter Australia are warned that: „giving false or misleading information is a serious offence. You may also be liable to a civil penalty for giving false or misleading information“, with the maximum penalty of 12 months imprisonment.

related news

#related-news_1

Australian media quoted Hawke’s spokesperson saying that Minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter in line with due process. „As the issue is ongoing, for legal reasons, it is inappropriate to comment further.“

In the meantime, after losing in the first round of qualifications for the AO, Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic said on Tuesday he did not feel well and thought he had the coronavirus.

However, as he said, he could not check it because there were no tests.

„I am sure that I will be positive in the next two days, I tell you that,“ Tomic told the referee during the match.

„I can’t believe that no one is being tested; they allow players to go out on the field with quick tests done in their rooms. There is no official PCR testing. “

„I feel really bad; I’m in a hotel room. I talked to the doctors, and they asked me to isolate myself. They have not been able to treat me yet to avoid contact,“ Tomic later wrote on his Instagram profile and thanked everyone for their support.

‘The Age’ said that Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke with Serbia’s Prime Minister Ana Brnabic about the Djokovic saga on Tuesday morning.

The Prime Minister’s office said the leaders had a „constructive call,“ and Morrison explained Australia’s border policy was non-discriminatory and was crucial in protecting Australia during the pandemic.

„They both agreed to stay in contact on the issue and to further strengthen the bilateral relationship,“ a statement read.

In the meantime, Victoria’s Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said he did not want to comment on whether Djokovic should stay in Australia and play at the Australian Open. He added it was not known who „sponsored“ Serbia’s tennis player and thus enabled him to obtain a visa to enter Australia, despite being not vaccinated.

„Novak Djokovic’s issue is for the Federal Government of Australia. It is an active process; we need to see if there will be any complaints, and I do not want to comment. We never tried to convince him that he should be let into the country, quite the opposite. When we talked about medical exceptions a few weeks and months ago, it was said that a previous coronavirus infection could not be the basis for that. But the situation has changed since then; many people have been let in on that basis,“ Andrews said.

 

Komentari

Vaš komentar