Coronavirus: Croatia reports 77 new cases, 12 people recovered

NEWS 30.03.2020 15:12
Share:
Source: PASCAL GUYOT / AFP

Seventy-seven new coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Croatia in the last 24 hours, bringing the total in the country to 790, health minister Vili Beros said at a press conference on Monday, adding that there were no new fatalities and that 12 more persons have recovered since Sunday, 64 in total.

“Very early, Croatia has introduced self-protection measures for the people, with the aim of preventing the spread of this outbreak. We are happy that the largest portion of the population is complying with the instructions… and we appeal to the rest to adhere to the measures because that is the best way to beat this infection,” Beros said.

More than 900 people were found to be violating the self-isolation measures put in place by the crisis management team earlier this month, the head of the team, Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic, said.

The fines proscribed for those who violate the measures are steep, beginning at 8,000 kuna (€1,052) and rising to 120,000 kuna (€15,800) for repeat offenders.

Bosnia and Serbia report new deaths, Serbian President threatens 24-hour curfew

The neighbouring Bosnia and Herzegovina confirmed 354 total cases on Monday morning,and two more people have died, bringing the death toll in the country to eight.

The authorities of Bosnia’s Federation (FBiH) entity have begun with systematic disinfection of all settlements on its territory, as one in the series of measures to combat the coronavirus and prevent its dramatic spread, starting with the southern town of Konjic, the most affected by the outbreak.

After the country moved to the daylight saving time on Sunday, the authorities decided to extend the curfew hours and citizens are free to go out now between 5 am to 8 pm. However, wearing face masks and gloves is now mandatory in public.