Sinisa Mali, Serbia’s Finance Minister, said on Tuesday the construction of the Belgrade underground would begin by the end of the next year and that a Chines and French companies would be in charge of building it.
After taking to the representatives of Power China Construction Corporation and Alstom SA, a French multinational rolling stock manufacturer, and the ambassadors of the two countries Chen Bo and Jean Louis Falconi, Mali said the legal documents would be adopted by the end of this year.
The French company will be in charge of the electro-mechanic, while the Chinese will work on the construction of the underground.
Egis, a major international group in the construction engineering and mobility services sectors, is reportedly working on a feasibility study.
Its earlier study estimated the cost would be 1.8 billion Euro for the underground 21.3 kilometres-long first line and 2.2. billion for the second, 19.2 kilometres long.
The first idea of the Belgrade underground public transport system goes back to 1976. Since then, many governments and city authorities planned and promised to start building it.