Chief state prosecutor resigns in wake of masonic membership scandal

Chief state prosecutor resigns in wake of masonic membership scandal

Chief state prosecutor resigns in wake of masonic membership scandal Izvor: Boris Scitar/PIXSELL

Drazen Jelenic announced on Wednesday he would step down as Croatia’s Chief State Prosecutor over his membership in a Zagreb masonic lodge, reversing his position from earlier the same day.

Earlier on Wednesday, Jelenic told N1 he was not thinking of resigning, saying his being a Freemason had neither discredited the office of the chief state prosecutor nor affected his duties.

The unusual scandal began unravelling last week, when a prominent Croatian eye doctor, Nikica Gabric, reported to the police that journalists of the popular tabloid website Dnevno.hr and its weekly print issue 7Dnevno were threatening to publish photographs showing Gabric attending masonic ceremonies.

Gabric claimed that, in exchange for not publishing the photographs, the journalists wanted him to buy 200,000 kuna (€27,000) worth of advertising space in the 7Dnevno weekly. The police investigation was opened, resulting in arrests of Dnevno.hr’s editor-in-chief, his deputy, and the website’s owner. According to Gabric, the arrested editor-in-chief’s deputy is also a member of the same masonic lodge.

Then, on Tuesday, the Nacional weekly published a story claiming that Jelinic was also a Freemason, asking whether that meant he was in conflict of interest now that the state prosecutor’s office was investigating the Gabric case. Jelenic later issued a press release confirming the claim but insisted that his membership in a masonic lodge had no effect on his performance.

Both Justice Minister Drazen Bosnjakovic and Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic called on Jelenic to step down on Wednesday.

Bosnjakovic, confirming he had spoken to Jelenic about the affair, said Jelenic's membership in the lodge was unnaceptable,  while Plenkovic said the most appropriate thing in the circumstances would be for Jelenic to step down himself.

"Naturally, if he doesn't do so, the government will decide on the next steps at the cabinet meeting tomorrow," he said.

Finally, on Wednesday afternoon, Jelenic caved to the pressure and announced he would step down.

"In the last days, insinuations surfaced in the public about my membership in a masonic lodge. My membership in this, perfectly legal, organisation has not in any way affected my duties. However, the slander has made it impossible for me to perform my duty as chief state prosecutor. I estimated that, in these circumstances, the only moral and responsible solution was for me to resign my post,” Jelenic said in a press release.

Jelenic, who took over the post in April 2018, is often criticised by the media and opposition MPs who claim that he is inactive and incompetent in handling high-profile corruption cases.

Gabric, who was a guest on Wednesday’s N1 television's live programme, said that one of the accused persons in the case was attempting to compromise Jelenic and that he had asked Jelenic to hand the case over to one of his deputies instead of handling it himself. Gabric refused to identify the person attempting to implicate Jelenic in the case.

“I can’t tell you everything, I’d be putting the whole investigation in jeopardy. I warned that one of the accused had some insights which were compromising (for Jelenic) and I suggested that he should not be in charge of that investigation… so that that person wouldn’t be able to say in court that Jelenic was in conflict of interest,” Gabric said, showing print copies of text messages he said he had exchanged with Jelenic, in which Gabric is warning Jelenic that the investigation is compromised, with Jelenic responding that all evidence should be turned over to the police.

In the press release announcing his resignation, Jelenic said that he had done his work “with pride, commitment, professionalism, and honesty.”

“Even though my term as chief state prosecutor will end early, I leave that post with a clean conscience,” he said.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

Epidemiologist: No serious reason to shut down Belgrade 09:20 h

09:20 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Government says only Crisis Staff can issue information about coronavirus 08:57 h

08:57 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Serbia's Min: Fake news that 24-hour curfew starts on Wednesday 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Kosovo’s PM: Taxes on goods from Serbia and BH will be lifted at midnight 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

COVID-19 UPDATES: Four new cases confirmed in Bosnia, 423 cases in total 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Epidemiologist: 24-hour ban on movements in Serbia will be 'last straw' 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Kosovo's Court says movement ban unconstitutional, Govt. to revoke decision 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Coronavirus: Croatia reports 77 new cases, drive-in testing launches in Zagreb 31.03.2020.

31.03.2020.  |  NEWS

loader