Thousands attended the religious processions in protest over the law on freedom of confession across Montenegro on Thursday evening, despite the cold and the fact that the police announced earlier that no security would be provided.
Montenegro’s top police official, Director of Police Veselin Veljovic met earlier in the dan with a delegation of the Serbian Orthodox Church (SPC) Montenegro Littoral Bishopric, reaching an agreement on the police providing security only for those processions which are registered beforehand.
The processions, which have been held every Thursday and Sunday since January 7 when the SPC celebrates Christmas based on the Julian calendar, were organized in the capital Podgorica, where the faithful were addressed by Montenegro Littoral Bishop Amfilohije, Niksic in the north of the country and in a number of other places across Montenegro.
In the meantime, the European Commissioner for Neighbourly Policy and Enlargement Olivér Várhelyi, who called on Podgorica's authorities for a dialogue regarding the disputed law on Religious Freedoms and offered EU help, said Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dusko Markovic told him his Government was ready to temporarily postpone the implementation of the Montenegrin Vijesti daily reported citing several sources.
According to Vijesti’s sources, Markovic offered the postponement until the Constitutional Court ruling, or, in case the Montenegro Littoral Bishopric's initiative was rejected, until the Strasbourg Human Rights Court’s decision.