Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said on Tuesday that Serbia is fighting for the rights of the Serbs living in Montenegro and denied that the problems in that country were caused by Belgrade.
“Serbia stands by the interests and rights of our people living in Montenegro. We are fighting only for the rights of the Serb people who account for 29 percent of the population. The problems in Montenegro were not provoked from Serbia, on the contrary they are being calmed by the balanced reaction from the authorities in Belgrade,” he said.
The Foreign Minister said that President Aleksandar Vucic called a meeting last night to discuss problems in the region, especially the assault on a young man in Podgorica for allegedly showing the Serbian three finger salute, adding that the government requested information from Montenegro about the incident.
He said that reciprocal measures against the second-ranking Montenegrin diplomat in Serbia, Ana Raznatovic, were introduced after the Montenegrin authorities banned Serbia’s Charges D’Affaires, former Belgrade police officer Ljubisa Milanovic, from attending meetings of state bodies last week. Dacic denied accusations by the Montenegrin authorities that Milanovic was not behaving in line with diplomatic rules.