NATO deputy spokesperson and the head of Press and Media Piers Cazalet told BBC in Serbian on Thursday there was no health risk from depleted uranium used in the Alliance’s bombing of former Yugoslavia during the 1998-1999 was in Kosovo.
Serbia’s media reported that the German soldiers who took part in NATO missions in the Balkans demanded compensation for their exposure to depleted uranium.
"Several UN reports, including the one from 2014, established that the locations with depleted uranium do not pose a significant health risk to the population. These are consistent scientific evidence," Cazalet said.
The German T-Online website reported that since 2008, over 200 soldiers requested compensation and none was approved.
"NATO has never compensated troops for being exposed to depleted uranium during the operations in the Balkans," Cazalet said, adding he could not say if a particular member state did.
Germany said that “the toxic risks could have appeared only in specific circumstances that had not been the case so far.”