Dragan Djilas, one of the leaders of the opposition Alliance for Serbia (SzS) said on Monday he would sue several Belgrade tabloids for publishing allegations that he and two other opposition politicians were involved in the recent ‘Extortion’ affair in North Macedonia, the Beta news agency reported.
Speaking to the Skopje A1 website, Djilas said he would bring charges for allegations that he, Vuk Jeremic and Bosko Obradovic took several hundred thousand Euros from Bojan Jovanovski, known as Bole 13, accused of extortion.
The tabloids reported that the three took money to finance anti-government #1 in 5 million protests which have been going on in Belgrade every Saturday since last November, and in some other cities and towns across Serbia once a week.
Balkan Insight (BI) reported Last Friday that the Prosecution for Organised Crime in North Macedonia started the investigation in July into the case that had undermined the credibility of the Special Prosecution, set by the Social Democrat-led government which took power in 2017 on an anti-corruption pledge.
Two suspects, Jovanovski and his accomplice, Zoran Milevski, were apprehended the same day. The website said the two were “suspected of extorting money from businessman Orce Kamcev, who is himself a suspect in another case run by the Special Prosecution, codenamed ‘Empire’.“
Besides, the Kurir tabloid alleged that North Macedonia's Prosecutors found some photos and video clips in Jovanovski's mobile phone of him and an unnamed Serbia's opposition leader.
A1 reported that the Prosecutor Office denied it found anything like that.
Djilas said on Monday he would not deny the stories in Kurir, Informer, Alo and Pink (TV and website) tabloids and other media involved in propaganda, especially not for such nonsenses. "I sue (always) them, and that will be the same this time."
Djilas has won several lawsuits against tabloids so far and all the money the courts ruled he should get he donated to humanitarian organisations.