Belgrade municipal mayor says construction stopped at fortress

Belgrade municipal mayor says construction stopped at fortress

Belgrade municipal mayor says construction stopped at fortress Izvor: N1

The head of a central Belgrade municipality said on Tuesday that the construction of a cable car on the city’s medieval Kalemegdan fortress had been halted by protests.

    Stari Grad municipal Mayor Marko Bastac declared victory against the project, adding that civic activism can beat a system based on force, corruption and stupidity.

He said the people for what he called a crazy project would be held accountable.

The Belgrade city authorities decided to build the cable car across the Sava river connecting the old and new parts of the city. The construction started with the felling of a large number of trees on both sides of the river, causing protests by local residents.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

MOST POPULAR

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

Czech FM says European Commission has to be more active on Kosovo 18:52 h

18:52 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Kosovo election commission fails to confirm Serb List candidates 18:38 h

18:38 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Former Serbian information commissioner banned from lecturing 17:50 h

17:50 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Average age of cars over 17 years in Serbia 17:17 h

17:17 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Opposition Dveri movement looses two MPs in Serbian parliament 16:38 h

16:38 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Dodik claims British person runs office in Sarajevo to prevent Russian influence 14:45 h

14:45 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Serbia’s PM says demarcation with Kosovo hasn’t been on agenda 14:41 h

14:41 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Court stops building of gondola in Belgrade old town’s heart 13:41 h

13:41 h  |  NEWS

loader