Davor Dragicevic, a father seeking justice for his tragically deceased son, whose arrest on Tuesday caused protests in Banja Luka was released after questioning at the District Prosecutor's Office..
“I will be at the (David's) Square at 18 hours and I don't plan to leave my child to criminals and murderers,” Dragicevic told reporters following his release. He added he would be "fighting until the end."
Flowers and a memorial around which Dragicevic and others gathered were removed by communal service staff under guard by police in riot gear.
Dragicevic was arrested on charges of “threats to security,” police said after launching court proceedings against him and several other persons. They gathered in front of the Republika Srpska (RS) entity institutions on December 17, at the moment when new government of this Serb-dominated Bosnia's part was appointed.
According to the police, that gathering was in violation of the Law on Public Peace and Order and the Law on Public Gatherings.
Dragicevic said he had information the night before that he would be arrested on Tuesday.
Tuesday's arrest of Dragicevic and several opposition politicians sparked a fierce reaction among the crowd who have been supporting the father in his quest for justice for his son who, it turned out, was murdered in March this year.
For months, the Justice for David group has been protesting in Banja Luka's central square demanding from competent authorities to resolve the death of Dragicevic's 21-year-old son, David Dragicevic. The gatherings at the square they named after David turned into the anti-government protest as the father claimed his son was brutally killed and that the Interior Minister, Dragan Lukac, was an accomplice.
Suzana Radanovic, the young man's mother who was briefly apprehended on Tuesday, said they had information that “Serbian special police unit” was also present in Banja Luka during the Tuesday gathering. She urged Serbia's President to react.
Serbian Internal Affairs Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic denied claims that Serbian police personnel were present during the protest in Banja Luka or anywhere else in the Republika Srpska. “I want to say that everyone who claims that Serbian police personnel were present at the demonstrations in Banja Luka is a liar,” Stefanovic said.
The parents announced a new peaceful gathering at the central Banja Luka square for Wednesday afternoon claiming they have information about “a bloodshed” being planned for that day.
Neither Radanovic nor Dragicevic specified what that meant but only said the citizens should gather in “a peaceful and dignified manner.”
Dragicevic's attorney, Ifet Feraget, told media that his client knew nothing about the summons the police were talking about.
This was an abuse of power, he said adding that the conditions had been met for Minister Lukac to resign.