The Republika Srpska (RS) Parliament on Tuesday rejected a 2004 Commission for Srebrenica report on the crimes committed in that eastern Bosnia town in the summer of 1995 and called the RS Government to do the same.
The conclusions put forward by all the Serb parties in the RS Parliament called for independent international commissions to be formed within a year to objectively determine the extent of the suffering of Serbs in the Srebrenica area between 1992 to 1995, as well as in Sarajevo between 1991 and 1995.
According to the conclusions, the RS Srebrenica Commission’s 2004 report on events between July 10 and 19, 1995, was drawn up under pressure from the international community High Representative's office which oversees the civilian implementation of the Dayton Peace Agreement, which ended the war in Bosnia (1992-1995).The parliament document states that the authors of the report were forced to include several pre-determined conclusions.
The proposed new Commission for Srebrenica should document all events in and around Srebrenica in the given period, the RS Parliament said.
Addressing MPs prior to the vote to adopt the conclusions, RS President Milorad Dodik denied that genocide had happened in Srebrenica and added that the whole thing was an agreed tragedy leading to the demonization of the Serbs which he said was planned by some Western countries.
He said that special session of parliament was called after Mothers of Srebrenica NGO chief Munira Subasic handed a list of 22,000 names of Serb forces personnel in the Srebrenica area to a German state prosecutor. “What can I say after the Mothers of Srebrenica accused and passed sentence on the 22,000 people,” Dodik said.
The RS President said the reason for his opposition to the Srebrenica commission is the fact that no one has been held accountable for earlier crimes against Serbs in that part of Bosnia.
The conclusions did not receive tghe support of the coalition of pro-Bosnian parties in the RS Parliament - Homeland.
RS President Milorad Dodik called for a debate on the Srebrenica Commission’s report, saying that every time historic decisions were made, there was pressure from all sides that was not benign.
The RS Government headed by Prime Minister Dragan Mikerevic adopted the Commission for Srebrenica’s report in 2004.
In April 1993 the UN had declared the besieged enclave of Srebrenica a safe area under UN protection. However, in July 1995 Dutch battalion troops failed to prevent the town's capture by the Bosnian Serb forces and the massacre that followed.
More than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the genocide committed in the days after 11 July 1995 and so far the remains of more than 6,600 have been found and buried.